Friday, July 16, 2010

J.Ma On: Wrong Moments

My teacher used to tell me to appreciate corners. You know, the typical corner that you encounter everywhere in life. He told me that corners are amazing and full of suprises, which is the reason why people should learn to enjoy corners. Well, I disagee. Say for example, you're walking with a group of friends and turn around the corner in order for you lot to reach your destination. The moment you turn that corner, you see two teachers making out. Wrong moment. Even though this has yet to happen to me, I pray to god that this will never happen to me. Unless he's not on my side.

Wrong moments are awful. When you encounter a wrong moment, it's hard to assuage that shock or pain. That memory will remain in you, until you learn to efface that memory, by replacing it with another one. However, while corners can be bad, they can be good as well. Wont you be happy when you suddenly see your loved one meet at the same intersecting corner as you are? Yet, this brings up another contradiction. If two lovers turn at opposite corners, they wont be seeing each other now would they.


Music videos are perfect examples of completely wrong moments. Lets take an example, "Billionaire" by Travie McCoy. It's a pretty catchy song, and it has very energetic beat. So far so good. Now lets take a look at the music video it self. All right, Bruno Mars is singing his wonderfully sung chorus, Travie is too busy raising his hand while pointing it to the sky as Bruno Mars talks about being a billionaire. Then the verse starts. The two boys are then presented, driving in a very young and exotic manner- in a Mini Cooper S.

Whoa. Wait what? Two boys talking about how being a billionaire is wonder drives a Mini Cooper S? That doesn't seem right to me. I mean, the Cooper was a convertible if it makes anything sound better, but why a Mini? They're not that expensive, and I don't think a billionaire would be driving a Mini Cooper in the first place now would they. Why couldn't it be a Porsche 911 convertible? Or many even a Corvette Z06 convertible? Why would they choose something that a billionaire would never even bother looking at? The two boys roll along, doing all those peace and rock on signs, like idiots, and the fact that they're driving a Mini Cooper does not make it any better. I mean personally, I love Mini Cooper S convertibles. They're full of fun and are comfortable cars and yes, I have ridden in one as well with the hood down. It just feels brilliant. But, I don't think a Mini Cooper is the right car for this type of song. It's too cheap and it's too dull looking to be part of a billionaire song. It's just not at the right moment.

There's also that scenario where your driving along the street one day and all the sudden you see an Aston Martin Vantage blazing out of nowhere. Now I would like to give you readers some background information of where I live, along with the other two writers of Fourth Gear. We three lot live in a place, where there are PLENTLY of luxury cars. Everywhere you drive, you can see Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, Audi, Acura, BMW, Cadillac and even Porsches. These few brands of cars are very popular in our area. In fact, my recent study of being in a parking lot with that female individual has shown that every five out of twelve cars in a parking lot is any one of those luxury cars listed above. With even further study, I have found out that one in every fifty cars is a Corvette of some sort. That tells quite abit about our community. But even so, I had trouble adopting to something I've seen for the first time in my life.

There are three times that I felt that luxury super sports car are out of place. Allow me to start with the basics. The first time that I've felt out a place was when I was cruzing along in my dad's Merc E-350. All of the sudden, I see a blistering beacon of yellow light. And I see a Lamborghini Gallardo quickly sliding about. I have never seen a Gallardo in my community before and that felt like an amazing moment. The next time was when I was in a more less rich community. Me going to my dentist appointment, couldn't help but notice a Lotus Exige parked right in front of me. I mean, this was just staggering. I would had never thought about seeing a Lotus in the community where I was, and the Lotus just parked there was just brilliant. It's a beautiful car. This last time however, just occured to me two days ago. While leaving my SAT prep class, I was driving by a very boring parking lot when I couldn't help but notice, a red car. Well I thought to myself, it could be just some silly old Kia or a red Sentra, but when I got closer, the red color of the car was more vibrant than I had expected. Right in front of my eyes, was a Ferrari 458 Italia.

I thought I felt a warm sensation in my pants. It's exciting to see a Ferrari in a community that is already filled with affordable luxury cars, but what all these three sports cars that had in common is that, they're in the wrong place. Why aren't they in Beverly Hills? Honestly, there really isn't much to show off in my area since it's already filled with basic luxury cars. You have a Ferrari 458 Italia? That's nice. But that doesn't compare to what them chaps have in Beverly Hills. There just is no reason to have a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, or even a Maserati (my friend's dad has this) in the place where I live. There's no need to show off your fancy sports cars, because all the people in my community already have luxury cars. Take them to Beverly Hills, where they should belong, and show off there. Sure, they probably wont be able to compare to the Aston Martin Rapide there, or even the Audi R8. In my community, it's just the wrong place, the wrong moment, the wrong car.

I love sports cars. And I will continue to dream about riding in one until I'm old enough to hopefully even try one out in a dealership. But I just don't think sports cars like Ferraris should be avaliable at my community. I mean, with the recession going up, wont people try to maybe steal the car? I'm sure people are getting more and more desperate just to pay off the rent, and it's not all their fault. Lets keep it basic, with the Mercedes and the Audis, and lets take out those unnecessary sports cars. They're too savage for showing off, and they're also uneconomical. With this being said, I'd much rather walk into a corner with two teachers making out, rather then seeing a Lamborghini pop out of no where.

No comments:

Post a Comment